Wednesday 14 December 2016

Pilot Painting Experiment



After completing the RX-78-02 Origin kit (which I'll post after I take some photos), I decided to try my hand at painting the mini Amuro. Being a hand painter, I figure I'd use it to practice some more detail work for kits down the road.



Tools I used:


Size 0 paint brush - main brush used (left)
Size 000 paint brush - used for edge cleanups (right)
Poster putty - to mount figure
Bottle cap - use as base for mounting

Step 1 - Priming

  • Vallejo Polyurethane Surface Primer [USN Light Ghost Grey]




I've never actually primed anything on previous small paint jobs but decided to experiment with brushing on Vallejo primer in preparation for the next kit. The primer brushed on pretty easily but it might be because the figure is so small. The primer is quite thin and fluid so it didn't seem to cover any of the tiny details. It's also supposed to self level which is always nice for brush painting.

Step 2 - Base Layers


  • Reaper MSP HD [Umber Brown]
  • Reaper MSP HD [Golden Yellow]
  • Reaper MSP HD [Caucasian Flesh]
  • Vallejo Game Color [Imperial Blue]
  • Vallejo Model Color [Black]


I used my size 0 brush for most the work. I tried to work the lighter parts first just so it's easier to cover up spill over with darker paint. Face/hands, shirt, hair, jacket, pants, hair then boots. Keep the paints thin to avoid covering details. I messed up a bit on the standing pose shirt. The yellow was a bit thick and filled in the creases more than I would have liked.

My paints aren't chosen for any particular reason. Just stuff that I could get easily and wanted to try out.

Step 3 - Wash



  • DIY "Magic" Wash [Future + Reaper Umber Brown]
Usually a wash will sit in the recesses to bring out the details. Same principle as panel lining. A wash is just easier and more organic looking when the recesses aren't straight grooves.

There are numerous premade washes but I decided to try and make my own. I failed lol. Using future as my medium, I added the Reaper Umber Brown into it but the density of the pigment was too low and I didn't want to squeeze the whole bottle of paint into my small bit of future. The result was very faint and didn't really darken the recesses as mush as I would have liked. I'll try experimenting with a new recipe using future+inks for the next time.

Anyways, the wash is easy to apply since it behaves just like future. Put it on a bit thicker, let it sit and run, then wick the excess from the pooled areas.

Step 4 - Matte Coat

  • Vallejo Polyurethane Matte Varnish


Last step is just to put a coat of matte top coat over it. I'm quite used to brushing on top coats now so no surprises. Just make sure to wick off any excess pooled areas so it doesn't cover details.

All in all I think it went ok. My wash recipe needs to be adjusted so hopefully I can figure it out for the next one.


No comments:

Post a Comment